Friday, June 12, 2015

So, today we had a distance set at practice.
We had had a pretty good day up until our main set. I was already a bit tired, being that I didn't get much sleep last night.
As you may not know, I am not a distance swimmer.
The worst feeling a swimmer can have, is standing up on the blocks for a race, and realizing that you might not be able to do it. That you didn't train hard enough,
or that you don't have the speed to keep up.
I felt like this today. 

In the beginning, I don't think anyone was too happy about the set, and we all took up a decently reserved pace, except for a few lanes. Including mine. Does anyone know that feeling where you feel dizzy, your toes are going numb, and half of your body is cramping?
This is what I felt like. On the 3rd 400 of the set, I came in, barley making the interval. By this point, I felt like I couldn't breath, and both of my feet were going numb, and even though I felt like I couldn't keep going, my coach asked me to give it anything I had left. So I did. I ended up going from last in my lane to first.
These are the days I live for, these are the sets that make me want to try even harder, that inspire me to keep swimming.
I hope in ten years I'll be able to look at days like this, and be proud of myself.

Even when things go wrong, or they aren't turning out in your favor, forget the reasons why you can't, and remember the one reasons why you can.

Yours truly,
-Jasira

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed with your writing as well as the wisdom shown in the content.
    Keep going.

    ReplyDelete